The Alliance For A Clean Environment
Printable Version

The Link Between Pollution and Health Threats to Our Children

A broad range of CHEMICALS routinely released into the environment, contribute to developmental and learning problems in children ranging from attention deficit disorder to low birth weight. Do you have or know a child in our community with ADD or other learning disabilities?

Only about 10% of the tens of thousands of chemicals have had toxicological study. Many of the 10% studied show serious harmful health impacts. We have no idea about the real health harm of the remaining 90%.

“Polluting Our Future” assessed the potential impacts of about 150 of the reportable chemicals known or suspected to be developmental and neurological toxins. PA industries alone discharged into the state’s air and waters about 35.8 million pounds of chemicals known or thought to be developmental or neurological toxins. This does not account for unreported or illegal releases.

What We Know

1. Infants and children are more exposed to environmental threats and more susceptible to environmental disease than adults

2. Exposure to toxic substances can affect fetal, infant, and childhood growth, impairing development of their nervous systems, and causing abnormal development because of hormonal or immunologic effects.

3. Children consume more calories, drink more water and breathe more air per pound of body weight than adults do, and their body tissues can more readily absorb many harmful substances.

4. When young children crawl on the ground or the floor or play outside, they are more exposed to potentially contaminated dust and soil, lead paint, household chemicals, garden chemicals and other potentially hazardous substances.

5. Children spend more time outdoors.

6. Children tend to put their hands in their mouths causing more direct exposures.

7. Children can often be affected before birth. A mother’s womb is a child’s first environment.

8. Birth defects can occur from mother’s lifetime exposures to environmental chemicals.

9. Children don’t have to be near a pollution source to be exposed to environmental chemicals. When highly toxic and pervasive chemicals, that threaten our children, like dioxin and mercury, are released into the environment, these chemicals travel great distances and end up in the food chain and the water.

For More Information:

Children in Harm’s Way

Together we can make our community safer for our children, our families, and ourselves. If you would like to participate in or donate towards campaigns, programs or projects, please contact ACE.

P.O. Box 3063
Stowe, PA 19464

disclaimer  |  privacy policy  |  home  |  back to top  |  feedback  |
|  donate online  |  contents  |  contact us  |  join  |  contact web master  |