MORE RADIATION THREATS
TO OUR AIR AND WATER
Issue of Concern: Landfill Permit Modification for RADIATION
Pottstown Landfill MAJOR MODIFICATION Permit # 100549
12 Major Reasons Why A Public Hearing Is Needed!
1. DEP’s proposed Radiation Monitoring Plan will NOT adequately protect public health.
2. Health risks as a result of radiation emissions from landfill gas and leachate will ultimately be increased.
3. This MAJOR MODIFICATION to Pottstown Landfill’s permit would allow alpha, beta, and gamma radioactive wastes all to be dumped legally.
4. Proposed monitoring would NOT detect ALPHA radiation at all.
5. Proposed monitoring would only OCCASIONALLY detect BETA radiation.
6. NO MONITORING would occur for RADIATION EMITTED into our AIR and WATER from landfill gas and leachate.
7. Proposed standards and levels of concern do NOT address past and CUMULATIVE health effects of Pottstown Landfill gas radiation exposure.
8. Proposed standards and levels of concern do NOT address SYNERGISTIC effects of Pottstown Landfill gas radiation exposure.
9. Detection levels on monitoring equipment would be set at high enough levels to “avoid costly and unnecessary disruptions to the operation of the facilities,” rather than levels low enough to protect public health.
10. Proposed use of background levels of radiation as a starting point is unacceptable given our enormous exposure risks for the past 19 years.
11. Low level radiation exposure has been linked with leukemia. The Greater Pottstown Area has a rate of leukemia double that of the state of PA.
12. The proposed modification will result in many trucks transporting radioactive waste through our community.
P.O. Box 3063
Stowe, PA 19464