The Alliance For A Clean Environment
Dr. Lewis Cuthbert
The Greater Pottstown Area and surrounding communities have become a sacrifice zone to major polluting industries. They poison our air with large amounts of extremely hazardous chemicals, which also contaminate our water, soil, food, and slowly destroy our health and quality of life."
Would you believe?
Ridge's partnership with the polluters is taking its toll in the Greater Pottstown Area. We're a sad example of the consequences of Ridge policies on PA residents. Ridge's new partnership is at the public's expense, physically and financially.
It is clear why Governor's Ridge and Schweiker have refused to meet with a delegation of physicians, local officials, area leaders and businessmen from Pottstown and ACE. It is hard to face the people you are sacrificing.
PA Residents have a RIGHT TO CLEAN AIR under the PA Constitution. DEP is supposed to defend that right and protect our air and our health.
"DEP failed us in its mission to protect people in this region!"
Irresponsible and Unresponsive DEP actions:
1. Too many people are already suffering from environmentally related illnesses. Our extremely hazardous air is obviously a major factor, yet DEP continues to issue air pollution permit after permit, ignoring all the evidence of harm.
2. ACE and local elected officials repeatedly asked DEP to do comprehensive continuous perimeter monitoring, using an EPA approved method, around the Pottstown Landfill and Occidental Chemical, to identify all the hazards we are forced to breathe from these facilities.
3. This monitoring should have been done BEFORE 5-year air permits were issued to Occidental and the Pottstown Landfill.
b. DEP only ever tested Pottstown Landfill gas ONE time, after being shamed into it by the media. The testing was both inadequate and fatally flawed.
from both major polluters for their 5-year air permits.
DEP ignored us!
"DEP failed to protect us. Both 5-year air permits were issued
without reductions and without continuous perimeter monitoring."
If the whole truth were known,
reductions would be imperative over the next five years.
DEP has irresponsibly further jeopardized our future.
"The Toxic Turnaround"
Today we are announcing
Step # 7 - "The Bucket Brigade"
Why citizens' air monitoring?
"We have no confidence in self testing, self monitoring, and self reporting by the polluters"
"Unresponsive, unacceptable DEP actions and positions in our community have led to ever-increasing health risks. We don't trust DEP to tell us toe truth or protect us. DEP is clearly working with and for the polluters that they paid by the public to regulate."
Would you believe? Ridiculous and unacceptable!
DEP uses 'sniffers' to respond to citizens odor complaints. These 'sniffers' show up long after a citizen reports an odor problem (according to some, it was days later).
b. DEP 'sniffers' are hardly a reliable or scientific method to identify a problem coming from the amounts and kinds of massive hazardous substances emitted into our air by the Pottstown Landfill and Occidental Chemical.
Unresponsive and unacceptable!
Instead of continuous perimeter monitoring around the Pottstown Landfill and Occidental Chemical, DEP set up ONE monitoring station.
1. This will only monitor for a fraction of the hazardous substances in Pottstown Landfill gas.
2. While DEP will finally monitor for vinyl chloride, it is upwind of Occidental, one of the largest emitters of vinyl chloride in the nation.
3. Calibration for monitoring -
"Even 'IF' DEP calibrates the instruments to find anything (which we doubt), there is no way DEP can determine our health risks with one air monitoring station when it will not monitor for all the poisons emitted into our air."
P.O. Box 3063
Stowe, PA 19464
| donate online | contents | contact us | join | contact web master |