Can’t Believe or Trust Waste Management
Owner of the
Since its inception in 1968 the company has a long record of felonies and violations.
Sources: www.infact.org www.ebic.org
Judge Odell Horton, of the Western District Court of Tennessee,
Ordered WMI to pay $91.5 Million in a 1996 FRAUD CASE.
The Judge said, “What is troubling about this case is that
FRAUD, MISREPRESENTATION, and DISHONESTY
apparently became part of the operating culture of the Defendant Corporation....
There was no reason for the Defendant to undertake such conduct other than GREED.”
For the period 1970 to 1991: WMX Paid over $36 Million in Fines and Penalties
· 10 Criminal violations
· 23 Antitrust Cases
· 22 Civil Cases
· 87 Administrative Cases
Plus: 81 Actions Against Chemical Waste Management led to $15 Million in Fines & Penalties
For the Period 1991 to 2000:
· $3.3 Million Fine – Chemical Waste Management –
· $11.6 Million Fine and Conviction – Chemical Waste Management -1992
· $60,000 Class Action Settlement for Water Contamination in PA - WMI - 1994
· $91.5 Million Payment in FRAUD Scheme – WMI – 1996
Federal Judge in
· $100,000 Fine by OSHA for Deaths of 3 Employees in
· $125,000 Fine in
· $220 Million – Settled stockholders class action suit – 1998
For alleged Inflated Stock and Overstated Earnings
· $186,700 - Penalties for
United Waste Management – Hazardous Storage and Improper Training
· $5 Million – Settled California fraud case on rail-cycle project – 1998
Stock Fraud, Phone Tapping, Stolen Computer Files, Water Reports Falsified, and False Information Disseminated About Opposition
· $7.5 Million – Settlement of 2 law suits in
· 1999 – WMI’s history of violations and legal problems was used to reject the
company’s take over of a hauling operation in
“You take the whole batch together and you see it’s not just one bad apple, but all
these companies and the employees violating the law time after time.”
This is the company which is on the honor system to monitor, test, calculate and report Pottstown Landfill’s air pollution. This is the company which just paid for a cancer study around the Pottstown Landfill.
Ø Why would anyone believe Waste Management’s cancer study, clearly an attempt to cloud or nullify shocking childhood PA Cancer Registry statistics and other significantly elevated cancer statistics around the Pottstown Landfill?
Ø Waste Management is a major polluter in our community, with a clear vested interest in cancer statistics around the Pottstown Landfill. Why would PMMC Administration allow a private meeting with Waste Management about the cancer study this company paid for?
Waste Management, Inc. (WMI) (WMX)
· WMI enlisted services of 139 lobbyists in 32 states. (1998)
· WMI gave over $1.6 Million in state and federal campaign contributions (1998)
· WMI was investigated by the FBI for attempts to influence officials in
· WMI was accused of bribing public officials in
This is the company meeting behind closed doors, in the Cancer Department at PMMC,
to report a cancer study, which it bought. Isn’t is interesting that WMX would want to meet with our cancer department about its own cancer study the very day that DEP is holding a public hearing on 3 Pottstown Landfill air pollution permits? The majority of area physicians have previously spoken out to protect area residents from landfill expansion. Isn’t this meeting an attempt to manipulate silence and/or support of PMMC physicians?
Waste Management bought the Pottstown Landfill in 1984. Since that time, Waste Management has requested and received 5 expansions. The Pottstown Landfill went from 40 acres in 1984, to over 300 acres. It has become one of the higher mountains in the area and Waste Management now wants another vertical expansion.
We believe Pottstown Landfill is one of the nation’s worst landfills. Its gas is radioactive and it is leaking radioactivity. It has asbestos, medical waste, residual waste, radioactive slag, toxic and radioactive sewage sludge, incinerator ash, construction and demolition debris and many other dangerous wastes. Hazardous chemicals, included in massive amounts of these dangerous wastes, break down in the landfill gas and leachate. They continuously escape, for decades, into the air and water of Greater Pottstown Area residents. Children face far greater health risks from the kinds of hazardous substances emitted with Pottstown Landfills air pollution.
In the area around the Pottstown Landfill (Pottstown Borough and five municipalities), Childhood Cancer Rates have rapidly increased since the late 1980’s (PA Cancer Registry Statistics).
Childhood Cancer Rates Around The
Late 1980’s about 30 % above the national average
Early 1990’s about 60 % above the national average
Late 1990’s soaring to 92.5 % above the national average
Late 1990’s almost 100% higher than the state and tri-county
In the same area around the
Leukemia rates were almost DOUBLE the state
Pottstown Landfill emits radiation and benzene into our air
Both radiation and benzene are linked to leukemia
Breast Cancer – 51.4% Higher than National Average – Ages 30 to 44
Higher than the national average in every age group
Cervical Cancer is 2 ½ to 3 times higher than the tri-county
Lung Cancer is 22% to 33% higher than the tri-county
Brain Tumors and Cancer – far higher than all surrounding communities
Elevated Infant Mortality
There are 7 Pending
29 schools and day care centers and over 30,000 residents are within 3 miles of the Pottstown Landfill. If the following permits are issued the air, water, soil, and health will be further jeopardized for decades, in an already toxic damaged area.
1. Permit to legalize radioactive dumping in the Pottstown Landfill
2. 3 Permits, involved with a proposed 99 foot vertical expansion over 31 acres of Pottstown Landfill’s Eastern Expansion, too close to the
3. 3 Air Pollution Permit Requests. 1. Increased NOx emissions. 2. Amend an operating permit which does not include a section of the landfill operating since 1998, the Eastern Expansion. 3. A Plan Approval for a pipeline and new flare which have already been installed and operational, without a permit or public comment.
It is clearly time to CLOSE the
NOT issue permits which threaten to make a bad situation much, much worse.
P.O. Box 3063
Stowe, PA 19464
| donate online | contents | contact us | join | contact web master |